Saturday, May 29, 2010

Musical Heroes

Hi Everyone,

This month, I would like to share a wonderful story with you. If you click on the link below, you will find a very brief article entitled "German Unemployed Get a Boost Through Music," which discusses the efforts of a young German woman to help Leipzig's unemployed through music.

Stories like this one are so inspiring to me because it serves as a reminder that music, in its simplest of forms, can have a profoundly meaningful impact on people's lives and help them through the great vicissitudes of life. And perhaps what is most striking to me is this woman's vision to take a terribly difficult situation and transform it into a positive force in the community. I think it takes a great person to create something beautiful out of hardship. How many people would have had such a healthy response? Or how much more simple would it have been to surrender to the misfortune and the problems and unhappiness which result?

Through the gift of song, every human being is a musician. I sang in church choirs for the first twelve years of my life, and the "feeling of being valued," as the article points out, is very real. And indeed, it is one of the most wonderful ways to make music with other people. You are a part of a team, and you are all working to create something beautiful together.

A few days ago, I went to a rehearsal for the Columbia County Children's Vocal Ensemble, which is directed by Sheri Bauer-Mayorga, one of my favorite musicians and human beings. To hear a group of kids all enjoying music, enjoying each other, and working together was a true inspiration for me. The thought which went through my mind at the time was, "This is the essence of music."

And it is people like Sarie Teichfischer and Sheri Bauer-Mayorga who make it happen. They are the musical heroes.

All for now.

~Madalyn

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125634115

No comments:

Post a Comment